morris

Re: Wheel Rim, Driver's Seat Choices

To: "William Langdell" <w.langdell@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Wheel Rim, Driver's Seat Choices
From: rfeibusch1@earthlink.net (Richard Feibusch)
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 06:50:31 -0800
Bill,

I have used Vega wheels on my Minors for years and there is no difference
in performance between the two sizes.  The wider wheels allow for bigger or
wider tyres that could translate to more roadholding but that point is moot
unless many other upgrades are included in the mix - the best way to
improve handling, beyond fitting radial tyres is a mild lowering and a
front anti-sway bar. At that point, wider tyres might be of an atvantage
but this is also at the expense of ease of steering. More tyre on the road
is harder to turn.

Also consider if you are running disc brakes.  These conversions will set
the front wheels out about 3/4" on each side (effectively increasing the
front track by an inch and a half. This often pushes the 6" Vega wheels
outside the wheel arch, breaking the law and splashing mud all over the
side of the car. I found the best combination was the 5" wheels fitted with
185/70X13 radials.

Cheers,
Rick Feibusch
Venice Beach, CA