morris

Re: Morris Ribcase transmission conversion question

To: morris@autox.team.net, MorrisMinors@smartgroups.com
Subject: Re: Morris Ribcase transmission conversion question
From: "Paul A. Asgeirsson" <Pasgeirsson@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 19:28:28 -0800
Hi Joel,

I do a lot of these front cover mods for folks such as you.

Yes, you'll need to drill 2 more holes in the smoothcase front cover.  One is
right on the edge of the materiel.  In order for that one to be tightened up
securely without bending over the stud, I grind a portion of a 5/16" nut away on
it bearing surface, until it will rest with the unground portion on the trans
case and the ground portion on the slope of the front cover.  Works just fine.

You will also need to use the smothcase throw out arm and the spring clips to
hole the TO bearing on the fork if you are using a 1098 or 1275 engine.  On a
948

you can use the coil spring ones, but you should also use a 1098 type engine
backing plate instead of the this stamped one.

To correct for the change in geometry on the TO arm, I also sell a Clutch
Operating Mechanism upgrade kit whereby you can get a soft clutch pedal with
good

modulation and the removal of the dreaded rubber bush on the chassis side of the
clutch swivel arm.

Paul A