morris

Morris Ribcase transmission conversion question

To: morris@autox.team.net, MorrisMinors@smartgroups.com
Subject: Morris Ribcase transmission conversion question
From: Pamela Holmes/Joel Holmes <holmes@mcn.org>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 18:33:46 -0800
Morris owners
      Recently I had a generic ribcase transmission rebuilt for a pick-up
project that is coming together soon.  As trans and engine were about to
get bolted together I realized that the clutch throw-out arm was on the
R.H. side of the case and was the wrong one for the Morris application.
   I had done this conversion in the past and had not come across this
problem because the transmission was out of a late model Morris and
already had the correct throw-out  arm.  After a few phone calls I found
that I needed a front transmission cover and throw-out arm which is used
only on the Morris L.H. drive application.  These seem to be about as
common as hen's teeth so I had to do some serious bush beating to find
the appropriate parts.
      My question is, what have the rest of you Morris owners done to make
this conversion?  One suggestion I received was to modify the smooth
case cover by drilling two different holes in the cover and using this
on the late style transmission.  The problem with this (besides being a
little hoaky), was that the pivot point on the cover and throw-out arm
is in a different place so it changes the mechanical advantage of the
clutch pedal.
      I would like some input on this conversion.
      Cheers, Joel Holmes    60 Morris 2-door
                                          58 Morris pick-up(in the works)