Re: Over Heating

To: morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Over Heating
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 19:08:51 -0400
At 02:23 PM 4/16/2006 -0700, you wrote:

>Test and maybe (probably) replace the thermostat with a modern design but
>don't just eliminate it.

Colin,

I don't remember where I got the T'stat from, but I think it is a late
model 160F from someplace like AutoZone.

>I think the very first thing to do is to add a coolant recovery bottle. As
>simple or elaborate as you like, you can add a plastic one to gauge the
>results for just $5 or $6 and 10 minutes. If your problem is solved, switch
>it out for a nicer one.

Done that when I first put her back on the road in 93.

>"Rodding out" or re-coring the radiator is probably also in order. The
>Aluminum rads are very nice but probably overkill in your case.

I had the rad recored back in 92 when I was restoring her.  So that's
new.

>Since the car runs good when it runs, I would not mess with timing, etc just
>yet. Do consider insulating and/or re-routing the gas line. You might switch
>to an electric fuel pump temporarily to see if that cures the problem.

The fuel line on my 4/4 isn't too bad.  It comes up the the driver side
on the inside of the body, and the exhaust is on the outside of the chassis.
Then it comes across the firewall to the pump on the pass. side (left hand
steering).  Then a metal tube goes along side the block and up to the carb.
The exhaust manifold and pipe is on the drivers side.  So unless the eng.
compartment is very hot, or the heat coming off the exhaust manifold is too
much, I don't think I really have a problem with the fuel line.

But I was thinking about trying to find some sort of foam insulation like you
can get for you house water pipes and see if that helps any.

The thought of the electric fuel pump is being concidered.  If for nothing
else that to fill the float bowl when it's empty.

>Ceramic coating ("jet coat") for the exhaust manifold also makes a huge
>difference in engine compartment temp. Maybe a bit pricey but effective and
>elegant.

Now that's a thought.  I seem to remember hearing something about jet coating
keeping the heat in the manifold and letting it go out the exhaust pipes. But
I don't understand it.

>I do not support the dams and scoops and electric fans and so forth
>unless/until the above steps don't cure the problems. (They will!)

Thanks for the input.  One of these days, I'm going to have to try all these
things and see what does what.

John

Phone:  (757) 495-8229

                       65 Rambler Classic