Over Heating

To: morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Over Heating
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 11:21:34 -0400
Hey gang!

It's been a while since I reported back on my 65 Morgan 4/4 Series V and the
frozen engine. We finally got it freed, and put it back together.  Probably
one of the other biggest problems I had to fix, was no fuel getting to the
accelerator pump on the Zenith V32 carb.  We finally managed to get the
little cross flow tube opened back up.  We poked at it with some wire,
squirted PB blast, etc.  Finally used some compressed air, and got it opened.

Several weeks ago, I went over to dad's to work on it, and we finished
everything up, changed the oil, filled the radiator with coolant, and
installed an electronic voltage regulator for the temp gauge, etc.

Started her up and let her idle for quite some time.  The temp seemed to
stay steady at about 90C (about 194F).  But it was a great spring day then,
temps in the 60s.

Yesterday, my dad needed some help loading a new lawn mower and then unloading
it so I ended up at his place.  So we decided to take the Morgan and his
48 Triumph TR1800 out for a spin.  The 1st problem we encountered was trying
to get the Morgan started.  In about 2 weeks all the fuel in the float bowl
was gone.  So after several times of trying to pour fuel down the carb, we
finally dropped the bowel and filled it.  She fired right up.

Finally we take off, 1st stop is for gas.  Fill, well actually $10 (or 3 gal)
of fuel.  When I went to restart her, she was very hesitant, but fired.
We tool around town some, about 5 mi. heading to a bakery for some Hot Cross
buns.  The air temp is about 88F, and the temp gauge goes up to about 125C
and is staying there.  But that's a little too hot for me (257F).

After we get the rolls the Morgan won't fire again.  We try several
things.  Choke, no choke, hold the throttle plate open, or leave it closed.
I can see fumes coming out of the carb (after I pulled the air filter). But
she just won't fire.

Luckily dad's 1800 has a small took kit in it, so I drop the float bowel and
it's bone dry.  We let the car cool off for about 30 min. and it still won't
fire.  We know there is fuel in the tank and in the pump bowel, (I still have
the manual pump with the glass bowel on top), but none in the car.  A pretty
obvious indication of vapor lock.

Luckily dad's 1800 has an electric fuel pump.  So we break the fuel line,
and pump some fuel in to cup.  Then fill the float bowel on the Morgan,
hit the key, and she fires right up, and we head home.

This car is completely stock.  I've got to do something to keep her cool!
I remember as a kid, I always took the thermostat out in the summer.  May
try that.

I have 3 ideas of things to try:

1. Making a scoop for the radiator.  There were plans in one of the Morgan
   newsletters several years ago.  Nelson send me a copy.

2. Putting some pipe insulation between the radiator and the nose shell to
   force the air to go through the radiator.

3. Putting a rubber damn from the bottom of the radiator down to the chassis
   and about 1/2 way back on the engine.

Just wondering what others have done?

I may have to go the route of the electric fan, but that won't help when I'm
doing 30mph or more.  The last resort will be to get an aluminumn Griffin
radiator.  But right now that's money I don't want to spend.

Hope every one has a Great Easter, and enjoy your Morgans.

John

Phone:  (757) 495-8229

                       65 Rambler Classic

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan