Morgans-At-The-Point (Part 2)

To: "'morgans@autox.team.net'" <morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: Morgans-At-The-Point (Part 2)
From: Kerry Seibert <ckchapel@fast.net>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 18:47:56 -0400
SAT.     My first practice session was scheduled for 8:00 am with qualifying
proper at 11:15 (odd schedule, I know).  This left the rest of the day free and
in a perfect world, we decided we would forego car stuff and do touristy things
in the afternoon, like maybe go into Harper's Ferry.  I passed on my practice
session AND on a delicious-looking breakfast at our B&B because I wanted to
spend some time under and around the car checking for damage after the previous
day's grass-mowing excursion.  Put the car safely up on blocks and got to work
checking things like u-bolts, steering, chassis, fuel cell mounts, etc., etc.
Everything was fine and I even had time to give the ol' girl a good washing
after I removed about a half a bucket full of gravel from along the chassis and
along the fuel cell mounting tray!  "Yesterday's sins" erased, the car looked
great and my spirits rose as well as we got ready for qualifying.  A gentle
ride through the paddock and down the entrance road showed everything to be in
order.  Qualifying started innocently enough with the Lotus 7s, 2002s, and Greg
Miller in his lightning-quick 4/4 running up front and the rest of us playing
around mid-pack.  Both Morgan and driver feeling comfortable and in a bit of a
groove running with a fast Ford Escort and some 356s.  All of a sudden as I let
up on the throttle to use the brake, I discovered the throttle had stuck
(luckily not mashed to the floor!).  Now I understand what they mean by
puckering up.  Luckily I didn't have much traffic around me so I waved them by
and proceeded cautiously to the pits where the car was now overheating as well.
 Shut it down and waited a while for some cool-down before starting it back up.
 Car would not start so I experienced my first trip from the pits back to my
camp at the end of a towtruck.  Are we having fun yet?  Kerry was very
supportive and said forget about Harper's Ferry, just get the car fixed.  After
a lengthy cool-down, Moggy started right up but was "racing" at 2500 rpm.
Throttle-return springs we
seemed to be functioning properly.  "Blipping" the throttle would not bring the
rpms back down.  A number of interested and knowledgeable folks came by with
much poking, probing, and scratching of heads.  Don Griemel came by and said
there must be an air leak somewhere.  Along a similar vein, someone suggested a
carb throttle shaft or butterfly problem.  So, off with the aircleaners and
carb dashpots to check pistons, needles, and butterfly/throttle shaft.  About
this time, Win Sharples had sent Morgan Fuller with crew up to see if he could
help.  Said Win, "You're going to make the Morgan race if we have to push you
out and around".  It was obvious that NEITHER butterfly was closing properly
AND it was odd that neither throttle adjusting screw was on its "seat".  Just
then Morgan followed the throttle cable back and we all saw the problem.  The
covering/sheath over the cable itself had "jumped out" of its ferrule (where it
goes through the firewall) and was hanging up on the edge, hence the throttle
was part on!  Good Lord, after 25 years of Morgan driving, I thought I had seen
everything!  However, as I later related the story to others, I often heard,
"Oh yea, that happened to me once".  In all of our defense, it was a bit
difficult to see since the cable is partially hidden by the wiring harness
which passes through the firewall closeby. You'll never get a cheaper "fix", a
piece of duct tape and a wire tie.  Another gentle drive through the
neighborhood showed ONCE AGAIN everything was in order.  Thanks Morgan Fuller
from CANTAB.   Oh, and the overheating?  I can't remember the last time I
emptied my water overflow catchtank.  It had overflowed, hence the wisp of
steam and water vapor. Time now to clean up, head back to our B&B to clean
ourselves up, and return for the lobster fest banquet.  Surely tomorrow will be
our day . . . . .

End of Part 2
Part 3 - Morgan-only race and the grand finale
Part 4 - Closing arguments and the usual suspects (Morgan participants)
              Cheers,    Craig      1968 +8        #611