RE: Red Line MTL

To: "'Fred Schuchard'" <fschuch@jaguarsystems.com>,
Subject: RE: Red Line MTL
From: SOLOW GREG <gregmogdoc@surfnetusa.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 1998 02:30:02 -0700
In the owners handbook that came with my Morgan, the oil recommendation =
for the trans. was 30 SAE motor oil.  Around 1968 I found that Jaguar =
had changed the oil recommendation to a 90 EP gear oil for all of the =
Moss built and Jaguar built versions of this gear box.  After studying =
the construction and lubrication of the gear box, I came to the =
conclusion that the extra protection provided by the extreme pressure =
additives in the 90 or 80-90 EP GL-5 gear oils would be advantageous.  I =
also wished to improve the synchronizer action and help prevent wear of =
the synchronizer cones which are part of each gear in a Moss box.  I =
first started using GM Limited Slip Differential Gear Oil.  In a newly =
rebuilt box with the shifting hub preloads set up correctly, and unworn =
syncro cones, this oil completely prevented any wear of the syncros and =
the syncromesh worked great.  In the early 70's, the Sperm Whale oil =
which had been used in this GM oil could no longer be used because of =
the banning of whale hunting.  The oil was reformulated.  It still =
continued to work well.  As lubrication technology advances, I am always =
on the lookout for something better and have found that Red Line =
synthetic lubricants are excellent products. I have tried MTL in the =
Moss box in my 1964 E Type and it woks well. The box is rather tired, =
with all of the shifting hub preloads way to soft, so the syncros don't =
work very well.  I think that the MTL made a minor improvement. The main =
thing is that the oil has very good film strength and EP characteristics =
so it gives very good protection to the gear box components.  I still am =
using  a Chevron Delo 70-80-90  GL-5 gear oil  with a MoS4 additive in =
my Morgan that I race. It also works very well.  The only drawback to =
using a 80- 90 or 90 EP gear oil might be in extremely cold weather, =
when it might be hard to shift when cold because of the heavier oil.  By =
the way,  a 90 EP gear oil is about the viscosity of a 40 weight motor =
oil . Its viscosity is measured in a different way than regular motor =
oils.