Re: Real Axle Half Shaft

To: Wildbil923@aol.com, morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Real Axle Half Shaft
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 17:32:24 -0500
Can anyone help this poor fellow?  His post follows.  My Morgan isn't at my
house so I can't go down in the garage and check the threads for him.

Does anybody know where to get a new axle?

Bill a question to you.  There should be a woodrift key on the axle to
key the hub.  Did that get messed up?  If so, simply fixing the threads
won't help.  You'll probably need a new axle.

TIA

John

--------------

At 11:48 PM 10/26/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi John:
>
>I'm back to work on my Morgan.  You may recall we did some e-mailing back and
>forth about a problem I had with my brakes not bleeding.  I believe I
>e-mailed you recently and told you I isolated the problem to be with the rear
>brake cylinders.  I did this by plugging the line going to the rear brakes
>and tried bleeding just the front calipers.  Got a hard pedal almost
>immediatedly.  Well, now I'm on to another problem.  The rear half shaft.
>
>Seem that while trailering the car with one of the little front wheel dollies
>you can get from U-Haul, I had a little problem.  I had apparently not
>tightened the right rear axle nut and had not inserted a cotter pin to hold
>it in place.  The nut came loose during travel and the hub began exiting off
>the axle.  As it did, it completely boogered up the axle threads.  The wheel
>did not come off (thank goodness), but the axle threads are so badly crushed
>I can't even start the nut back on.  So here are my questions:
>
>1.  Do you know if the axle threads on this 1959-1960 Morgan +4 are American
>standard or some sort of Whitworth.
>
>2.  How is a half shaft removed?  I've done this a few times in the past, but
>I honestly don't remember how I did it.  My guess is I need that axle nut in
>place to free the bugger, however.
>
>Looking forward to your response.
>
>Bill Wilkman  (KF6BNE)
>Wildbil923@aol.com