Shimmy: Update on Latest Tale of Woe

To: Morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Shimmy: Update on Latest Tale of Woe
From: ebrown@ms.com
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 07:44:59 -0400
     After reading the ton of advice from this website (and there was a
     ton, all of it well thought out and clear) I forgot the lotus position
     and instead assumed the Morgan position,sprawled on my side, trouble
     light in hand, and gave those spring steel flat blades good solid
     fore-and-aft pulls. One moved a little (lhs) the other moved about a
     quarter of an inch. That one I attacked first, removed the white-metal
     wheel stops mounted just aft of the similar white-metal "bridge" for
     the blade mechanism. Then I loosened aft bolt to push the shim in,
     but....no shim! Piqued now, I took the whole assembly apart and no
     shim on the other bolt either.

     Now really interested, I looked at the other side. A similar story: no
     shims there, either.

     The whole assembly in this car, a 57 Plus 4, consists of a STEEL bar
     about 1/8 thick and two inches long and 3/4 wide, this pot-metal (I
     think) bridge structure which has a 1/16th or so wide groove on one
     side for the blade to slide in and out of, and raises the whole
     assembly off the frame of the vehicle by about 1 1/2". No bronze
     nothin', no shims.

     Here's question #1: if there's a groove already in this bridge
     structure which effectively spaces the spring steel piece from the
     clamping STEEL bar above, what possible good would a couple of shims
     do? The clearance on this car (at least) is determined by the depth of
     this groove worn or machined (hard to tell which) into the pot-metal
     bridge structure.

     Question # 2: Should I machine away this groove, render all plane and
     smooth, add bushings, BRONZE bar above (or two BRONZE bars,and make
     the "sandwich" noted on John Blair's page) and adjust til snug?

     Question # 3: And if I do this, the shims, at least as pictured in
     Melvyn Rutter's catalogue (6th edition, p. 16, diagram) appear to
     rotate about an axis determined by the bolt location. This means the
     shims are rarely parallel to the spring steel, and instead describe an
     angle with the edge of the spring steel piece. Is this right? If so,
     doesn't the shim tend to either ride above or below the spring steel
     piece?

     Question #4: If and when I add the shims, shouldn't I replace the
     damper blades as well to assure a proper thickness so that the shims
     are more likely to slide along the blade than slip under it?

     (You all did such a great job setting me up for this weekend's effort,
     that I hope you won't mind my asking more about this feature which is
     certainly unique to the Morgan car.

     Regards (and heartfelt thanks!) to all-

     Chip Brown