mini-baja

Re: Tires size

To: mini-baja@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Tires size
From: staleyt@pdx.edu
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 12:25:44 -0800
Carlos,
  We have used several tire sizes in the past.  Mostly they seem to be near 24"
in diameter, 8" wide.  Just remember, the larger the tire the more gear
reduction you must work into your car.  Like anything in engineering each
extreme produces benefits and problems.  Other teams have used little tiny
tires; I assume this is for gear reduction reasons.  I think you need to make a
judgment on what you need for ground clearance, traction, total vehicle width,
etc.  If you really look close at your specific vehicles requirements I think
it will be more obvious what an acceptable tire should be.  Lastly a few years
ago we did some testing of frictional coefficients for different atv tires.
The experiment and results are on the web at

www.vikingracing.net/andre

Look under the tech menu under minibaja.

Thomas Staley
Portland State University