mini-baja

Re: looking for ball joints to fit knuckles, cannondale or

To: mini-baja@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: looking for ball joints to fit knuckles, cannondale or
From: "JAMES PERRIN" <jmperrin@peoplepc.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 22:33:34 -0800 (PST)
Try the ES368L from Moog/Federal Mogul.  It has the
correct taper for Honda knuckles and doesn't require
any modification to the knuckle or ball joint.  (it has
a 5/8-18 Left hand thread for the shaft which can be
annoying and I believe has abour 50degrees of travel).
Most Napa and AutoValue stores have a spec
book with the measurements for the tapers and they
usually run about $15.00 each.
>From our testing, a 5/8" Aurora studed rod end is much
stronger, but is a pain to get it through the safety
rules and requires drilling out the taper on the
knuckle.  Judges claim to be able to take the rod ends
apart by hand, but I can't do it.  I would suspect they
took apart some worn out part or less than 3/8" rod end
and based a rule on that.  The main thing and what a
design check/rule should be for is to make sure that
the ball joints are not the limits in the suspension
travel and at least 1/2" ball joint/rod end is used.

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 22:22:14 -0500, "Dan Burt" wrote:

> I just wanted you give you a little FYI since we were
> considering using the
> Aurora ball joints as well.  I e-mailed the rules
> committee and they stated
> that the Aurora "ball joints" aren't considered OEM
and