mini-baja

RE: 4130 Steel

To: "'Paterson S'" <paters6@uwindsor.ca>, mini-baja@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: 4130 Steel
From: "Perrin, James (J.M.)" <jperrin3@ford.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 13:41:29 -0400
There actually isn't any weight savings compared to 1020 steel for the frame.

1020 and 4130 still have the same modulus of elasticity so for the same "I"
value
the bending stiffness is still the same.  Where 4130 can gain is with the
bending strength.
But the rules say we need to have equivalent to bending stiffness and strength
to 1"X0.083.
I like to use 1020 DOM 1 1/4"X0.049 because it is a lot cheaper...

Anyway, getting back to you question about heat treating, I've read that for
thin wall tubing such as these frames (I hope your not using anything .120"
thick) that heat treating/stress releaving is not required:
http://www.lincolnelectric.com/knowledge/articles/content/chrome-moly.asp

However, if you still want to do it, this is a good article on how to do it:

http://archive.metalformingmagazine.com/2001/01/Lincoln.pdf

Hope this helps.

James
University of Michigan - Dearborn