mini-baja

4130 Steel

To: mini-baja@autox.team.net
Subject: 4130 Steel
From: "Paterson S" <paters6@uwindsor.ca>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 09:30:34 -0400
Hey guys,

I know some teams last year used chrome-moly steel for
their roll cage.  I understand that we can save a lot of
weight using this type of steel as it can maintain the same
strength as plain carbon steel however using a thinner
tubing.  My question is, is it really necessary to
post-weld heat treat?  I have read in some books that it
would be stupid not to do this because the weld will become
brittle and can crack without heat treatment.  However, I
have also read that it is not necessary.  Does anyone have
any thoughts or commments on this?  I would really
appreciate it.
Thanks,

Sarah Paterson
Team Manager