mgs

Fwd: Re: Lift the Dot stud - MGB

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Fwd: Re: Lift the Dot stud - MGB
From: Carl French <leylandauto@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2003 05:12:00 -0700 (PDT)
Note: forwarded message attached.

---------------------------------
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2003 05:11:02 -0700 (PDT)
From: Carl French <leylandauto@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Lift the Dot stud - MGB
To: Eric J Russell <ejrussell@mebtel.net>

"I've got a loose Lift-the-Dot stud on our '78 MGB. Its the 2nd or 3rd
on the deck behind the doors - I can't figure out how to tighten it.
The stud just turns and I can't find out how to reach what I assume is
its nut. I looked behind the panel behind the door."

It is much easier to find with the stow away hood but, you can reach you
fingers into an access hole located just behind the end tip of the side panel
and above the apex of the wheel arch. You can get 2-3 fingers in there and you
should be able to easily feel the inside end of the stud. It is indeed a
threaded stud using I believe a 5/16 nut. When I install these I use a spot of
grease on my finger tip to 'glue' the nut to my finger while I get into place.
After that I think I have have done it using an open end wrench. Let me know if
you need any more of a description.
Carl