mgs

Re: MGF mid-engine or not? / Stylish or not ?

To: paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk
Subject: Re: MGF mid-engine or not? / Stylish or not ?
From: "David Breneman" <idcb@airborne.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 09:56:53 -0700 (PDT)
Telewest SEZ -
> I doubt that *styling* has been affected, details like around the bumpers
> maybe.  Cars like the Jag XK8 have a very strong family resemblence going
> way back.  'Styling' for most manufacturers is a matter of fashion and not
> wanting to be 'left behind', witness the indistinguishable jelly-moulds of
> the 80s and the 'edge' styling of today.

But there are regulations concerning "side impact penetration"
that would prevent the sweeping fender/door/fender lines of a
car like the MGA.  Does anybody else remember that the US
government was seriously considering banning the manufacture/sale
of convertibles in the late 70s?  That's one of the scares
that lead to the death of Abingdon, and the British government
funding of Delorean in its stead.

--
David Breneman                   | "Before there were CDs there were
Distributed Systems S/W Analyst  |  records, and before there were