mgs

Re: MGF mid-engine or not? / Stylish or not ?

To: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>,
Subject: Re: MGF mid-engine or not? / Stylish or not ?
From: Dan DiBiase <d_dibiase@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 05:08:09 -0700 (PDT)
Without getting too far OT (too late!) I saw an ad in a magazine
yesterday, for Buick, celebrating the styling achievements of Harley
Earle, who of course was the styling maven at General Motors for years in
the 30s 40s and 50s... I thought it was funny, as he certainly would be
appalled at the lack of styling that abounds in Buicks, not to say most of
GM, today... I don't mind the current trend among many manufacturers of
taking retro cues from their own history but also hope that that doesn't
cause them to shy away from pushing the envelope (although a car like the
Pontiac Aztek could, I guess, be described as ripping the envelope to
shreds)....

LBC content - I took my 13-year old son to a local Corvette show this past
week-end. We drove the '76B. Saw a Lotus Esprit and a VERY nice BRG ERA
Cobra replica in the parking lot. (Why aren't more Cobra's this color??) I
was wearing an MG shirt, and 3 current Corvette owners stopped me to talk
about British cars they had owned... I think they felt like the had 'grown
up' by getting a Corvette; I was thinking it was only because they
couldn't hack it as LBC owners...!

--- "Telewest (PH)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> I doubt that *styling* has been affected, details like around the
> bumpers
> maybe.  Cars like the Jag XK8 have a very strong family resemblence
> going
> way back.  'Styling' for most manufacturers is a matter of fashion and
> not
> wanting to be 'left behind', witness the indistinguishable jelly-moulds
> of
> the 80s and the 'edge' styling of today.

=====
Dan
The Garden State (What Exit?)
'76 MGB Tourer (Driver)