mgs

Re: Going to look at a 1971 B-GT: oil pressure problem

Subject: Re: Going to look at a 1971 B-GT: oil pressure problem
From: Tyson Sherman <mts3@ra.msstate.edu>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 20:08:37 -0600
MGs do have oil pumps.  The oil pump rarely wears out to the point that it
would cause oil pressure
to drop off.  The normal oil is 20W50 in a B engine; you should try to find out
what weight the
owner has in the crankcase.

If your pressure is dropping off after it heats up, I would suspect worn main
bearings or rod
bearings.  That was the case in my 76; I had the exact same symptoms a long
time ago.

Is the pressure back when the engine restarts, or when it cools off?  Make note
of what it is at
cold start and how low it gets at idle and at speed when warm.  I believe the
minimum for warm idle
is 10-20psi.  At cold start pressure should be 75-80 psi.

Good luck

Tyson

Mark Dawson wrote:

> I'm off in the morning to look at buying a B-GT, and had one question for
> the list. Since I've had an MG for a year and a half, I have an idea of the
> usual things to look for in terms of rust and whatnot, but the current owner
> says one thing that I don't know what to do with:
>
> "I don't know about driving it a great distance. After about 25 minutes the
> oil pressure drops off. Now these MGs, they don't have oil pumps, they have
> springs and relief valves and stuff..."
>
> ...yes. Well. Anyhow, what would cause the pressure to drop off, except for
> a leak? It must not be leaking, because the pressure is evidently back when
> he restarts.
>
> TIA, and wish me luck,
> -Mark

///