mgs

Re: Was Wheel Nuts/Ripoff

To: "Jack Feldman" <qualitas@millenicom.com>,
Subject: Re: Was Wheel Nuts/Ripoff
From: Bob Shaw <shaws@mlcltd.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 14:01:09 -0600
At 3:05 PM -0600 1/3/2002, Jack Feldman wrote:
>Kelvin,
>
>  I've driven all over the country in the MGC, which took us
>dependably from Minneapolis to Portland, Oregon, covering 868 miles in 12
>hours in the first day with one of these pumps. It was also under a hot sun
>in 95+ degree weather. Glad I didn't have Lucas!

Why? I do run lucas parts in my A and also drive all over the U/.S.
and Canada. I've not had problems

>While I am flaming Moss lets remember the Donald Healey video that  Moss
>sells for $69.95. The video house that made the tape wants $29.95.

So buy it from them.

>We do owe a debt of gratitude to Moss for what they do to help us, and
>sourcing some of these parts made is almost an impossible task. We couldn't
>have our cars without them.

That is right. I remember the time before many parts were available
from Moss.  You want to talk about hand fitting? Don't even mention
the expense about having a part hand made.

>However, when I spend hours trying to get a part
>to fit, or find I could have gotten the same part

Same or similar? I have used some parts that were the "same", but
with apologies to George Orwell, some parts are more equal than
others.

>from another source at a
>lower price,

So don't bellyache because you did not do your homework!

>  I wish I had a better attitude about
>overpaying for some parts, but I was a child of the Depression, and I was
>taught that money is precious.

I am a Scotts farm kid. I also think money is precious. But I am VERY
tired of people being victims.
I make the best deal I can at the time. If I find a better way to go
later I consider the cost tuition. But I, for one, am tired of seeing
companies who spend much time developing parts, money to carry a part
that only one or two people a year want and spend large dollars
supporting local club events being berated. I have no connection to
any parts house. I just remember the bad old days when we had to
scrounge in the junk yards or make our own parts and I am grateful
that Moss (my personal favorite) VB and others exist

--
Bob Shaw
Check out Shaw's Garage at http://www.mlcltd.com/shawsgarage/

///