mgs

Re: Spring sizes

To: MG Listserver <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Spring sizes
From: Chris Attias <cattias@cats.ucsc.edu>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 11:23:39 -0700
The world of British reproduction (or even new) springs is not all
that precise.  A lot akin to blacksmithing in my experience.  I
looked at a lot of period road test photos to figure out correct ride
height as-new for my B.  There is actually a 1963 photo of a brand
new car that sits higher in the front than in the back!  My 1964
roadster still has pretty robust front springs--the fender clearance
looks pretty much like new.

The problem is with the back springs.  The originals were sagging and
uneven.  I replaced them first with a seven-leaf repros as an
experiment in firm ride.  Even with the fiberglass top and gear in
the trunk, a rubber-bumper-like height at the rear.  Chalk one up for
experience.  I then installed the six-leaf springs, and, while the
rear was lower, it is still higher than the front.  If I were really
a stickler for this sort of thing, I would probably have the rear
springs re-arched (a blacksmith kinda of thing--someone must do that
still) or buy the aluminum lowering blocks, or shim up or replace the
fronts (which would then be too tall).  This whole thing is very
inexact...
--
Chris Attias
Aptos, CA