mgs

Re: Rear wheel drum--very stuck

To: Rick Brown <mgrick@ptd.net>, Galvin <edwardg@tinet.ie>
Subject: Re: Rear wheel drum--very stuck
From: Carol <car@intersatx.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 00:51:50 -0500
I had the stuck-drum syndrome occur here last year.

Everybody in the neighborhood took turns whanging on the drum until my ears
were ringing. The vehicle was already on jackstands. So...

I decided to put the jack under the offending drum and apply just a bit of
pressure, not the entire weight of the vehicle, to it. We walked away.
About 5 minutes later we heard it break loose with a snap/whang noise. Free
as could be.

Worth a try.

Carol

At 10:10 PM 7/28/98 -0400, Rick Brown wrote:
>Galvin wrote:
>>
>> I am replacing the brakes on my wire wheel roadster, and am having trouble
>> removing a ceased brake drum, which is heavily cracked along the rim and
>> will have to be replaced
>>         One of the brake shoes appears to be rubbing   making it harder
still,
>> after removing the four nuts I have tried much tapping along the drum,
>> spraying with the old wd 40, disconecting the oil line to losen the shoe,
>> wiggeled the handbrake cable but all to no effect with much tugging that
>> only moves the whole car!. Any ideas?.
>
>Have you backed off the brake adjuster ?
>
>Rick

...now running Windows '98, better known as "MacIntosh '87 "