mgs

Re: MG Title

To: "Susan and John Roper" <vscjohn@iamerica.net>,
Subject: Re: MG Title
From: "Mike Ellsworth" <mikeells@shianet.org>
Date: Sat, 9 May 1998 17:23:12 -0400

----------
> From: Susan and John Roper <vscjohn@iamerica.net>
> To: Rick Morrison <gofastmg@juno.com>
> Cc: mgs@autox.team.net
> Subject: Re: MG Title
> Date: Friday, May 08, 1998 9:43 PM
>
> Rick Morrison wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 06 May 1998 21:37:51 -0500 Susan and John Roper
> > <vscjohn@iamerica.net> writes:

>John
> >
> > Does this make the use of a Heritage body shell, using the VIN plate
from
> > the "donor" car, a federal offense?
> >
> >  Inquiring minds want to know
> > Rick Morrison
> > 72 MGBGT
> > 74 Midget
> I don't believe so, in that you have not moved a data plate and thus VIN
> from one vehicle to another and thus changed the VIN of the second
> vehicle to that of the first.  The heritage body shell is not a vehicle
> and to my knowledge has no VIN assigned. It is mearly a replacement
> part, albeit a large one.  John

John & others,

It still seems to me that this leaves the door wide open. Assuming that you
own two same model cars, you can swap parts back and forth willy-nilly in
any combination to end up with either car with either VIN you wanted. At
what point does a vehicle become a collection of parts that can be replaced
and still retain it's original vehicle identification? Do some parts (body
tubs, chassis, etc...) retain their vehicle identity when combined with
parts from another registered vehicle? Does the fact that the heritage
shell has never been registered as a vehicle make the difference? A common
practice in the body shops is to weld the front and back halves of
unibodies together. How is something like this registered and licensed?

                                Still not clear,
                                Mike Ellsworth
                                71 Midget