mgs

Whistles under the hood

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Whistles under the hood
From: Tim Richardson <tkrich@sirius.com>
Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 07:04:12 -0700
Hi Folks,

Here's my latest problem in the 78B saga:

I timed the car this weekend (10 degrees BTDC).  It had been set =
somewhere between 25 and 35 degrees BTDC.  At the same time, I =
reconnected the hose from the oil separator/ flame trap to the carb.  =
and also the hose from the fuel tank to the vapor separator and from =
that to the canister line, located in the trunk.

Here's the problem.  Since doing this, I have developed a new noise in =
the car.  As I accelerate, everything is fine, but when I let off of the =
gas, I get a high frequency squeal from under the hood.  When I apply =
gas or take the car out of gear, the noise stops.  As I shift gears, I =
hear this very loud noise and it goes away as I apply the gas once more. =
 The car seems to run fine except for the noise.  I suspect that I have =
a vacuum leak, but I'm looking for advice from wiser MG owners.

Does anyone have an idea what this might be?

Thanks for your help,

Tim

78B Beautiful, but under construction