mgs

MGC: Opinions and Pricing

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net (IPM Return Requested)
Subject: MGC: Opinions and Pricing
From: William Elliott <William.Elliott@mail.mei.com>
Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 9:57:34 -0500
I've stumbled across an MGC roadster for sale and have several questions:

Condition of the car:  In dry storage for years.  Last licensed for the road in
1975 (Current owner has had it for 15+ years.)  Shows 74k miles.  Has had
rockers, fenders, and floorboards professionally replaced (all metal) and has
an acceptable (good quality enamel) 5-yr old BRG paint job.  Chrome and trim
very nice- most gaskets cracked and dry-rotted.  Very straight body; excellent
fit all around. Trunk area and under hood unrestored.  Car was lasted started
about 5 years ago.  Interior complete but in need of complete renovation.  Has
4-speed, no O/D and the strange double-booster braking system with hydraulics
still up (appears to have been completely rebuilt).  Nicely restored (painted)
wire wheels.  Asking price: $3200 (supposedly film)

Now my questions:

I've owned LBC's for a number of years (since I was 17!), but have not dealt
with an MGC in about 12 years.  Back then, nobody wanted them.  Then, they
appeared to shoot up in value.  Now, various "price guides" have conflicting
information: from approximately the same value as an MGB to 50%+ more.  This is
the first one I've seen for sale in years.  There does not appear to be much
info on the web... what is the current opinion of these cars and the value
range?

How many C's imported into the US? 1969 only?  Was O/D an available US option?

What's the opinion of the braking system? (We used to convert them to MGB
specs)

Availability of drivetrain parts?

Any "C" intensive web sites I've not been able to find?

If I get _another_  project, I may be sleeping in the garage with it.  Just
wanted to know if a "C" is worth it.

Thanks in Advance!

Bill Elliott
TR6, Corvairs, etc.