mgs

Re: Radio

To: Murray Arundell <marundel@ozemail.com.au>
Subject: Re: Radio
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner7@pilot.infi.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 00:38:27 +0000

> >> Scott Gardner wrote:
> >>

> >I actually didn't post the above quoted message, but I'd like to toss
> >in my two cent's worth on Crutchfield.
> >     As far as I'm concerned, they have the best customer service and
> >return policy in the business, as well as a great database as to what
> >will fit in the stock locations of most cars.  Talk to them about a
> >vehicle that's NOT in their database, and they're a little lost.
> >     I wish they carried more high-end equipment, but they're getting
> >better.  Most of their amplifiers are still distinctly
> >middle-of-the-road, though.  Their prices frankly aren't that good,
> >but you'll never get burned buying from them.  Once you've selected
> >the parts you want, see if you can get them cheaper from a local
> >store, but if you decide to mail-order, don't order from anyone else
> >but Crutchfield.  You'll end up wasting your life on warranty claims,
> >back-ordered parts, and shifty salespeople.
> >Scott
> >

> If I can make a friendly comment on what you've written here Scott I hope
> you wont take offence.
>
> I do not know this company and being in Australia I can't be said to have
> any interest in it.  However as a businessman your comment.......
>
> >Their prices frankly aren't that good,
> >>but you'll never get burned buying from them.  Once you've selected
> >>the parts you want, see if you can get them cheaper from a local
> >>store, but if you decide to mail-order, don't order from anyone else
> >>but Crutchfield.  You'll end up wasting your life on warranty claims,
> >>back-ordered parts, and shifty salespeople.
>
> kind of annoys me a little.  This is not a Personal jibe at you, but in my
> long involvement with MGs and MG people I have noticed that a lot of us are
> very keen to tap into the vast knowledge of companies such as the one you
> mention, yet when it comes to the crunch a lot are happy to tke the
> knowledge they've gleaned from them elsewhere to save a few bucks.  If you
> buy anything from a discount, high turnover outlet you can bet on the fact
> you'll be talking someone who knows nothing about what they are selling.
> The guys with the know how usually are little more expensive because they
> spend so more much time fielding questions and explaining repair methods to
> customers than they can spend actually selling products.
>
> Unless we, those of us who need the advise of these experts patronise
> companies such as you mentioned pretty soon they'll all be gone.  Now that
> seems like it would cost us all far more than we would be prepared to
>pay.......
>
> Murray Arundell

Murray,
        Thanks for the comments.  I didn't mean to imply that one should
rape the vast knowledge of Crutchfield and then go off in search of
cheaper prices.  I was referring to people that already knew what
parts they wanted, either from magazine articles, personal
experience, or recommendations from friends.  Those people would be
better off buying the parts they already know they want from someone
local, since the prices will be better and returning a defective part
is just a matter of taking it back to the local shop.  If you use the
resources available at Crutchfield, by all means, buy the parts from
them.
        Thanks again for pointing out my ambiguous posting.
Scott