mgs

Re: Rostyle to WW conversion

To: Benjamin Ruset <bruset@home.com>
Subject: Re: Rostyle to WW conversion
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 20:17:34 +0000
Benjamin Ruset wrote:

> What's involved in converting a rostyle wheel car (my 78) to wires?
>
> I have a 69 BGT that I was going to use. The wires are okay, but need to be
> chromed. Could I just take the two axles and front suspension from the 69
> and put it on the 78? Will this also lower the car?
>
> Also, what's involved in the maintenance of wires?
>
> Thanks!
>
> BEN RUSET - bruset@home.com (note the new address)
> Safety Fast & MG Cars Webring -  http://www.infi-pos.com/~oasis

Changing the rear axle will not lower the car.  You will also need to replace
the handbrake cable (which will also not lower the car, unfortunately).

Changing the front-cross member will lower the car by about 1/2" of the 1 1/2"
inches difference.  This will considerably affect the steering column and
rack alignment, not sure of the details.

You can change from Rostyles to wires just by changing the hubs - the front are
standard but the rear require specially machined versions to enable the tyres
clear the arches, but they still run closer than normal.

PaulH.