mgs

Re: Quandry.. 14" or 15" Wheels for MGB

To: ccrobins@ktc.com
Subject: Re: Quandry.. 14" or 15" Wheels for MGB
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 1998 21:37:20 EST
On Wed, 04 Mar 1998 22:42:44 -0800 Charles & Peggy Robinson
<ccrobins@ktc.com> writes:
>All,
>
>   I've been whatching this business about tires/wheels for a while
>now.  I've seen phrases like "...not suitable for serious xxxxxx
>driving."  The reader can fill in the x's, just don't fill in
>"competition" which I understand and is a whole `nother ballgame.  A
>few
>Q's:
>
>  *  Whatinell is "serious xxx driving"?
  Serious "xxxxxx" driving is to the daily comute, as ballet is to disco.

>  *  What's wrong with the size tires that came on the thing?
  For starters, that sized tire is in many cases, not readily availible
 Secondly, manufacturers, and this includes MG, will spec down to a
price. The best size and type of tire is not what came on it originally.

>  *  How many people out there are qualified to drive "on the edge"
 >where it makes a difference?
The point is not whether you are qualified to drive on the edge (which
incidentialy should only be attempted on the race track, autox course or
(Ugh) drag strip), but the reaction of the car when you are forced to the
limit, such as when the little old lady pulls out in front of you.

>  Let me say this:  I've done my share of racing; drag, road and oval.
>Also I've straightened out lots of country-road turns with sporty cars
>of various types.  But I drove most of those cars to work every day.
>I usually used the the tire sizes spec'd by the Mfr's and tried to get
>the best tires I could afford within those parameters.  It seems to me
>that the preoccupation with tires/wheels on an every-day-driver could be
>better spent on honing driving skills.

 It's very hard to hone driving skills, when your ability out paces the
vehicle. And given the skinny little tires on the cars originally, that
isn't hard to do.

 Save some $$ too for I-net
>time
>to argue with me! (G)
>
>  I'm not trying to put anyone down.  These are toys, after all and
>everyone play their own way.  But I am kinda curious about the
>rationales.
 Basicaly it's the same rationale as improving the induction system to
improve the power, or installing an electronic ignition to enhance
reliability.
 Since the first car came down the line, there has always been those (and
that's us folks) who felt it could be made better and the compromises
from the factory were not those we would make. Where we have the choices,
we tailor those compromises to suit our individual syles. The key word
here is "individual". What's right for me, isn't for the next guy.
>  OK folks, flame away.....  (G,D & R)
>
>  Charley Robinson   `69 B

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]