mgs

Re: Guages...

To: steve@wyrm.AZTech.Net
Subject: Re: Guages...
From: todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil (Todd Mullins)
Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 10:05:12 -0500 (CDT)
Steve Gibbons writes:

> I have two guages on my '74 B that don't work.

Two?!?  That's all?

> The first is the fuel
> guage, probably a busted sending unit is how my limited skills diagnose the
> problem.

This one is easy.  First, turn the ignition on (but don't start the
car).  Second, disconnect the hot wire from the sending unit and touch
it to a good grou^H^H^H^Hearth.  You may have to use a length of jumper
wire.  If, after doing this, your fuel gauge jumps all the way up to
full, congratulations!  It's the sending unit that's bad and not the
gauge.

Changing a sending unit is easy, but please do it in a well-ventilated
area.  Nobody likes gasoline fumes exploding near them.  Wait until the
tank is mostly empty, and jack the sending unit side of the car up.
Remove the road wheel, and gently tap the retaining ring anticlockwise.
The ring comes off, then the sending unit comes out.  Have a new gasket
on hand.

> The second is the Speedo.  It used to go ticka tacka ticka between
> -10 and +10 of the actual MPH that I was doing, before it was disconnected.
> I figure a dirty cable, here.

Yup.  Ask Thomas about the oil-in-a-baggie gravity feed thingie.  A
well-lubricated cable is essential to smooth speedo operation.

> Apologies in advance for those who are more mechanically inclined than myself,
> and think that I asked silly questions.

As others have said recently, "There are no silly questions".

--

Todd Mullins
Todd.Mullins@nrlssc.navy.mil    On the lovely Mississippi (USA) Coast

'74 MGB Tourer with a rusty sending unit from a parts car that still
               reads too low...

(witty quote here)