mgs

Guages...

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Guages...
From: Steve Gibbons <steve@wyrm.AZTech.Net>
Date: Mon, 5 May 1997 23:30:09 -0700
OK, I'm about as non-mechanically inclined as they get, but after reading
this list for a few weeks, I've decided to at least try a few things on my
own.  I have two guages on my '74 B that don't work.  The first is the fuel
guage, probably a busted sending unit is how my limited skills diagnose the
problem.  The second is the Speedo.  It used to go ticka tacka ticka between
-10 and +10 of the actual MPH that I was doing, before it was disconnected.
I figure a dirty cable, here.

Questions: Are these two items that I have things that I want to approach on
my own?  If so, are there any tricks/gotchas that I should be aware of?

My service manuals are still "in the mail", so please be gentle with me.
Up until a few weeks ago, I was willing to pay a mechanic to "do stuff" to
keep the B going.  I felt "ripped" every time, and I'd like to at least know
more about what's going on, even if I have to farm it out.

Apologies in advance for those who are more mechanically inclined than myself,
and think that I asked silly questions.

--
Steve
'74 MGB (Mostly stock, single 12V battery, Weber downdraft, I'm pretty sure

P.S. I still haven't summmsrized all of the advice that I got on how to keep
a B cool in summer in H*LL...  I appreciate all of the great advice, and
will be summarizing (bad pun?) shortly.