mgs

Re: alternator woes

To: Allen Williams <ajwillia@ua1vm.ua.edu>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: alternator woes
From: Ross MacPherson <arm@unix.infoserve.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 05:31:25 -0800
At 11:33 AM 11/13/96 -0800, you wrote:
>I need some ideas on tracking down the cause of failures in 3 Lucas
>alternators in the past 2 months on my '74 B. No wiring mods, evidence
>of shorts, or loose connections. The first one died on the way to a car
>show. I bought a rebuilt one, drove home(275 miles) and it died. Sent it
>back, got another. It worked for a few weeks (drove about 100 miles) and
>it quit! All three times the indicator light circuit went out. The
>alternator definitely does not charge, but you don't know it until you
>switch on the ignition and the idiot light doesn't come on.            Anyone
>out
>there ever have a problem like this?

Allem,

Yes I've had a problem like this but never on an LBC.  The built in
regulator on the alternator on our Jetta packed in and the alternator was
over charging.  The charge light never came on but the alternator
overcharged the battery and "boiled" the water out.  Topping up the battery
brings it back for a while but repeating this cycle several times destroyed
the battery.  I replaced the alternator but it was too late; the battery was
ruined.

Before you turf out another alternator charge the battery then take it to a
good auto electric shop and have them do a load test.  If the battery has
been overcharged for a long period it can show a good hydrometer reading but
not have the capacity to start the car.

Good luck,
   ___        \______           Ross MacPherson
  / __ \ __ /       /------|)   arm@unix.infoserve.net
/  (___)---------/ (___)        Vancouver, BC, Canada
 1947 MG-TC 3528                1966 MGB-GT