mgs

Re: Real MGs

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Real MGs
From: WJAD81D@prodigy.com (MR JOHN P ELWOOD)
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 09:45:22, -0500
   On the subject of real MGs, may I mention that I own what is
considered by many to be the most un-MG like MG ever made.  But how
people judge whether an MG is an MG or not unfortunately eliminates
alot of fine MGs.
   Not Built at Abingdon:  Alot of MGs, infact all MGs from the 20's
and partially into the 30's were built elsewhere.  Remember also that
Abingdon's product was not always an MG either.  Abingdon also made
Austin-Healeys, Rileys, and Morris Minor Travelers.  Does anybody
call thier Austin-Healey 3000 not a real Healey because it wasn't
made at Longbridge, where Austins were made?
  Not designed by MG, or based on another car:  Many, many MGs were
not based on MG designs.  Take for instance, the very earliest MGs.
They were basically Morris that were slightly tarted up.  MG later
moved into making thier own cars, but it's surprising what is and is
not a "real" MG is you eliminate MGs based on other cars. M-Typr
Midgets... Goodbye.  They have Morris chassis.  What about the MG YA,
and YB?  Everywhere past the fron cowl is all Morris 10.
   What about the ZA Magnette.  It looks suspiciously like a Wolseley.
  The Wolseley got the MG engine and the MG got an Austin engine!
The MGA... that no MOWOG lump in there.  Late Midgets?  Doesn' t that
engine say TRIUMPH on it?  It was built at Abingdon.
   The MG Magnette Mk. III?  If all htese cars are MGS, why isn't the
Mk.III?  BEcuase few people have them, and nobody is around to defend
them.  The R-V8?  That's sure as hell an MG.  Most of it's MGB
underneath, and it was made at Cowley.... MGs used to be made at
Cowley.
  The MGF... if it isn't an MG, I dont' know what it is.  It fills
the same market that the MGB once did.  It seats two, looks great,
and even has that little "nose" behind the MG emblem that is on the
MGR-V8, and the MGB, a definate MG design trait... that first
appeared on the "Badge-Engineered" MG MAgnette MK. III.
   In defense of Badge engineered cars:  A car company cannot survive
on a slim product line.  You cannot have a dealership that sells 2
cars.  All throughout MG's history, excellent mainstream products
were uprated and revised to be sold along the designs soley that of
MG.  It provided the dealers with somethign to sell, it gave peopl
wiht families somethign to drive,and all importantly, gave consumers
a greater choice and what they wanted.  The main reason to be in
business is to make money.  If MG could make money selling Austin
Americas with different grills, which is the MG 1100, I think they
should.  Apparently so did alot of other people.  They sure sold alot
of them!  If the MGF isn't a real MG, why are they selling so many of
them?
   About Metros, Maestros, and Montegos:  For a tight era, when BL
had NO money, it kept the MG name alive with some damn peppy little
automobiles.  The most valuble post-war MG is still the MG Racing
Metro, the 6RV I think it is.  Jsut look at the price guides.  They
go for 30,000 pounds even 10 years old!
   Thanks for listen to my little diatribe

   John