mgs

Re: TD Gear Box Insulation

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TD Gear Box Insulation
From: "A. B. Bonds" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
Date: 29 Aug 1996 08:53:33 -0500
In <199608290309.WAA09422@teak.holli.com>, Robert J. Donahue wrote:
>I see from pictures in the book "The Complete MG TD" that the gear box
>cover should have insulation glued to it. Well guess what? My DPO strikes
>again, it's missing. My usual catalogs do not show this part. Does anybody
>know where I can purchase some suitable material for this purpose? It looks
>like it would not be difficult to cut it out to match the pictures.

I just removed the original insulation from mine in the course of
refinishing it.  Apparently these stampings were not painted
originally--the blackish "finish" on mine came off entirely in the
parts washer.  Wonder what it was.... ;)

The stuff is some sort of fiber, kind of like carpet underlay but
thinner (abut 3/16") and more dense.  I'm going to try some carpet and
upholstery stores.
                        A. B. Bonds