mgs

TD Gear Box Insulation

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: TD Gear Box Insulation
From: rdonahue@holli.com (Robert J. Donahue)
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 22:09:12 -0500 (EST)
I see from pictures in the book "The Complete MG TD" that the gear box
cover should have insulation glued to it. Well guess what? My DPO strikes
again, it's missing. My usual catalogs do not show this part. Does anybody
know where I can purchase some suitable material for this purpose? It looks
like it would not be difficult to cut it out to match the pictures.

I think this is one area where it would be unwise to skimp on insulation. I
just replaced the motor mounts and took her out for a test drive without the
gear box cover on (probably not a safe thing to do because the u-joint and
part of the drive shaft is exposed). Without the cover, an immense amount of
heat and noise come up from the transmission.

BTW, the car has a much more solid feeling with the new motor mounts, and
first gear is no longer "grabby".

Bob Donahue, Still Stuck in the '50s
rdonahue@holli.com
53 MG-TD under DIY restoration
71 MGB still in shop, 9 months and counting