mgs

Re: Still need help!

To: "Allan R. Hovis" <hovisa@nando.net>
Subject: Re: Still need help!
From: David Councill <dcouncil@cu.comp-unltd.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 1996 09:22:17 -0700 (MST)

> More info follows. I have checked the timing and all is well. The car
> will now run OK at idle but if I give it any gas, it will begin to run
> very rough and stall. Lifting the piston on the front carb all the way
> seems to have little effect while the rear carb will kill the engine if I
> do the same. If I put my had over the intake of the rear carb when
> running I get a lot of suction and the car will stall if I keep it there
> very long while on the front carb I get about 1/2 the suction (not a
> calibrated hand) and only a little change in the running. I have a crane
> electronic ignition and it SEEMS to be working OK. I guess my next step
> will be to pull the carbs (yuck) and do a complete check unless someone
> can give me a better idea.
>
> Allan R. Hovis
> hovisa@nando.net

I do believe you are getting closer (and learning a lot in the process).
You could have a vacuum leak - both carbs should have equal suction, at
least in theory.

One common wear part are the throttle shafts. The bronze ends stick out
about half an inch (if my memory is still intact). They should not have
any freeplay.

Do the pistons move up with the same resistance?

Just key on the difference between the two carbs and the answer will be
found.

David Councill
dcouncil@imt.net