mgs

Still need help!

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Still need help!
From: "Allan R. Hovis" <hovisa@nando.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 96 12:56:03 -0500
>Well, here is what happened. My 72B which has always started (yes, even
>in cold weather) at the first turn now has a problem. It all began when I
>read on the net that someone was using Mystery Oil in the dashpots of
>their carbs in the winter and it helped with the initial rough
>acceleration. So since it sounded like a good idea to me, I poured some
>in my carbs. Since it was a beautiful day (almost 80 here in February!) I
>was headed out for a nice top down run and tried to start the car. All I
>got was an engine that was barely running which seemed to be firing on
>one or maybe two cylinders and would not respond to the throttle at all.
>About 300 rpm at best. After much trying I gave up and decided that it
>must of been the mystery oil which had been so thin it ran down into the
>carbs and had fouled the engine. I opened the carbs and yes oil was in
>the throats so I took off the dashpots and cleaned everything up and then
>also replaced the plugs but to make a long story short, no improvement.
>Does anyone have any idea what may of happened? I havent had a chance to
>check the timing or take a look at the electronic ignition but if anyone
>has any other ideas please let me know.

More info follows. I have checked the timing and all is well. The car
will now run OK at idle but if I give it any gas, it will begin to run
very rough and stall. Lifting the piston on the front carb all the way
seems to have little effect while the rear carb will kill the engine if I
do the same. If I put my had over the intake of the rear carb when
running I get a lot of suction and the car will stall if I keep it there
very long while on the front carb I get about 1/2 the suction (not a
calibrated hand) and only a little change in the running. I have a crane
electronic ignition and it SEEMS to be working OK. I guess my next step
will be to pull the carbs (yuck) and do a complete check unless someone
can give me a better idea.

Allan R. Hovis
hovisa@nando.net