Re: [Mgb-v8] Holley vs Edelbrock

To: <keith.grider@gmail.com>, Barrie Robinson <barrie@look.ca>
Subject: Re: [Mgb-v8] Holley vs Edelbrock
From: James Bown <jaguarsandrail@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 09:53:35 -0600
I have run both the Holley 390 and Edelbrock 500 on my 215 Buicks.

I have also run both a Holley and Edelbrock (properly sized) on a Ford 351 in
a boat.

Also I have had Holleys and Edelbrocks (and lots of others carbs) on a variety
of small block Chevs over the last 40 years.

Both are good.

How good depends on how much time is spent getting everything just right.

I agree, that after everthing is fine tuned correctly, that the Holley has
more topend power and the Edelbrock is better on the lowend. I've got
timeslips showing better 60 foot times with the Edelbrocks but slightly faster
ETs with the Holleys.

To that end I tend to run Holleys on my race cars and sandrails, and
Edelbrocks on my street stuff.

It isn't a hard and fast rule though.

Currently I have an Edelbrock on a modified 215 Buick in a sandrail.

Here is the interesting thing: If I didn't know which brand carb was on an
engine (assuming the carb was properly setup and tuned) I doubt I could tell
by just driving the car.

The important thing is: Spent the time (dyno time, road time, tuning time,
etc) to get it setup right.

If you don't have the time, or the skill, then you need to use the carb that
your mechanic is most experienced with.

Don't try to force your Holley mechanic to learn the Edelbrock on your dime!

Besides, unless your a drag racer, does a difference of .05 seconds in your
0-60 foot time or .2 seconds in your 1000 foot time really matter?

One thing for sure, AND THIS IS IMPORTANT, the Holley 390 will run fairly OK
on a Buick 215 RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX.

The Edelbrock 500 WILL NOT RUN OK ON A BUICK 215 RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX. It
needs different jets and rods!!!

Regards,

Jim Bown

inbox.