Re: Cooling in relation to water speed

To: Richard Morris <richard.morris@cox.net>
Subject: Re: Cooling in relation to water speed
From: James Jewell <m1garand@speakeasy.net>
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 21:31:14 -0500
Cc: "'Carl Floyd'" <cmfloyd@chartertn.net>, mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Richard,
Most of the MGB V8 books were written before, or just as the big-bore blocks were coming to market, so the problem hadn't arisen yet. I don't have any good numbers for boring the 3.5L engine at the tip of my fingers, but I think you can find them on the D&D web site and catalog, and in an article by Kurt Schley and Dan LaGrau in one of the free issues of the newsletter on the website (britishv8.org, no www)
JJJ

Richard Morris wrote:

With this cracking problem (and I don't recall reading about it in the
v8 MGB books) in mind, is it better to go with the 3.5L Rover engine?
And I assume that boring one out can also lead to the same problem. What
is the safest a 1988 3.5L Rover engine can be bored?

Slightly off topic is this question. I want a compression ratio of over
10:1 (in the 10.0:1 to 11.0:1 range) And is there a problem using the
10.25:1 pistons that were for the Olds 215? Back in the 70's when I had
Camaro's and Corvette's, we snickered when someone used cast pistons. I
made the assumption that forged pistons were always better. Now I read
in the MGB V8 books and on some web sites that you should not use forged
pistons. Why not?

There is a 4.6L Rover short block currently for sale on eBay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=802
0199936&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT . What if any problems will I have
using my 3.5L Rover parts to complete this short block. (Do the 3.5L
heads and other parts work without any problems?). My 3.5L block has so
little wear in it that I could have it honed and stick with the stock
pistons (and no compression). My idea of the higher compression ratio is
forcing me to go with new pistons. Any thoughts on this?

Richard Morris