RE: HTOBs

To: "'Paul Hunt'" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>, "'v8'" <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: HTOBs
From: "Larry" <larry@embreyfamily.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 09:02:15 -0700
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Paul, yes they are a Throw out and Slave all in one.  The reason They
have been used over here so much is there was a lack of any alternatives
for a "bolt on" unit.  Least until recently as listed below...

I have a Weber/McLeod  I had one problem with it a few years back, but
RED at Weber replaced it with a newer version which addressed that
problem and I have not had any issues since though I don't have quite
the same # of miles on it just yet.  On the old one the bearing retainer
let go so the bearing began moving around and squeaking..

I know they make units for a number of transmitions, give them or D&D a
call and they will take care of you.  It you are using a T5 there is
another option depending on your tunel clearance.  This is designed for
Ford T5,s but it might work on GM's also.

http://www.autoworks.cc/65-70%20ford_hydraulic_clutch_kits.htm

They are designed to put a T5 into a OLD mustang which are hydraulic
clutch like our MG's...  If I was just starting my conversion this is
what I would use as they are cheaper than a HTOB and
servicable/adjustable without trans removal..

Larry