RE: finishing questions

To: <CraigFaubel@aol.com>, <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: finishing questions
From: "Jim Stuart" <vze3swyy@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 21:06:59 -0400
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Definitely remove the doors, hood, & trunk lid for a first class job.

The hinge screws are #4 Posidrive, a Phillips tip will damage the screws, in
most cases. Best way I have found is to soak the screws with Blaster, Busty,
or your favorite penetrating spray. WD-40 is not a penetrant. Next step is
to ruin your screwdriver with a BFH slamming it into the screw heads to jar
them loose before trying to turn them. Try to tighten first, maybe 1/4 turn
before unscrewing.

The other method I have used is to substitute a hand impact tool for the
screwdriver after first filing the large Phillips bit to match a Posidrive
as closely as possible.

Take the door off the hinges. If you are really anal, as my last painter
was, you will also remove the inner fender shield & remove the hinges from
the body, then sand blast the hinges & all the screws & paint all
separately. Punch holes in a piece of cardboard to hold the screws.
Really.

Find a paint & body shop supply store & talk to them about the compatibility
issues. A good counter man is worth his weight in gold. Buy all your paint,
primer, activators, etc from the same paint manufacturer. Mixing brands
without experience is an invitation to disaster. The pros can do it because
they have the experience as to what is compatible.