Re: Air Conditioning a V8

To: Michael Hartwig <mhartwig@midsouth.rr.com>, "Mgbv8 List (E-mail)" <MGB-V8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Air Conditioning a V8
From: "James J." <m1garand@speakeasy.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 22:37:34 -0500
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
"I've made an alternator bracket, but it mounts on the driver side. I wanted to leave the passenger side open"

... I have two Buick 231 V-6 brackets. They are clearly designed to mount two accessories on one side of the engine. I know one of them is the alternator. I haven't figured out if the other is for the compressor or the power steering, but if it is a compressor, then you and I are in luck, because the show up on e-bay often and cheap. (I think there is one on there now!) Shhhh! Don't tell anyone.

"The evaporator would be mounted in the trunk. I'd have to cut 2 holes through the rear firewall to run ducting. That way I don't have to mess with the heating system."

... I think both Vintage Air and Southern Air make this kind of system. It's intended for Limousines. Unfortunately if you go that rout, you loose out on the improved heater core of these new systems. Also, if you have a roadster, and want to use the A/C with the top down (or even the windows open), you won't have the same benefits of of the cold air being injected in front of you in a static, non-turbulent region. Shooting it in behind you will pretty much suck with the top down, as it will spill right back out. The Dash and footwells have far less air movement, and conditioned air (hot or cold) will linger in those regions far longer providing the human occupants with much more comfort.

Michael Hartwig wrote:

Thanks for the pics Robert.

Here's my idea guys.  Tell me if i'm insane or not

I've already made new radiator brackets and have everything in place.  I
can
just barely fit an electric puller fan in there.  I'm worried about the
extra heat the A/C will add to the engine bay.
Since I have the ST Air dam, I was thinking of laying the condenser almost
flat and under the radiator.  It would probably be at a 15-20degree angle.
It would put 2 puller fans under it and have it suck air from the opening
in
the air dam.  All the hot air would be pushed under the car.  I'm hoping
that is a low pressure area.

The evaporator would be mounted in the trunk.  I'd have to cut 2 holes
through the rear firewall to run ducting.  That way I don't have to mess
with the heating system.

I have some more head scratching to do.  I've made an alternator bracket,
but it mounts on the driver side.  I wanted to leave the passenger side
open
since that head is set back a bit more to fit the compressor.

Anyone know if the major auto parts stores carry Sanden compressors?  Don't
want to order one and have to pay a restocking fee if I have to send it
back.