Tuning help?

To: mgb-v8 <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tuning help?
From: "T. S. White" <tswrace@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2004 16:02:33 -0800
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
I have my 302 Ford TR3A rebuilt and running.  It has been out for a
couple of test drives.  I have a couple of problems with it that I need
help with.

On a test drive a couple of months ago the block huggers got too hot and
set the motor mount on fire.  I have repaired and restored the damage
and switched back to my custom headers.  They give the motor mount more
clearance and have more area to disapate the heat.

However, at idle, before the electric fan comes on, the headers get
cherry red hot.  I don't think they should do this and I am very gun shy
after the fire.  This engine is a 289 bored and stroked to 306.  It is
ported and polished with large valves and a 280 degree .45 inch lift
cam.  I have a 570 CFM Holley Street Avenger on it.  I have tuned the
carb to the lowest header temperatures I can get using a lazer temp
gauge.  The theory I am using is that the most efficient combustion
ratio will produce the lowest temperatures.  I am running a pair of 56
primary jets and 45 power valve.  Any movement either way on the jets
produces more header temp.  An increase to a 55 in the power valve
increases header temp.

Any suggestions on why the headers still get cherry red at idle.

I also have a new Center Force II clutch in it with a Howe HTOB.  The
clutch slips when I step down on the throttle.  I measured the distance
for the HTOB with the engine out of the car and in the car and got the
same measurements.  I set the HTOB up with a little clearance instead of
preloading it per discussions with tech at Howe.  Any ideas would be
appreciated.

Thanks.
--
        Best Regards,