Engine mount position ???? please help!

To: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Engine mount position ???? please help!
From: Mike Cousins <mikecousins1@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 09:36:39 -0800 (PST)
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Ok, i got a question about engine mount position - in the
give-your-mg-v8-power book there is a picture of the engine mount on
page 25 which indicates that the CENTER of the rubber isolator is
pretty much in-line with the CENTER of the forward bolt on the mount.

Now, is this the 'rearward' mounting position, or the 'forward'
mounting position ???

I'm assuming that the 'rearward' mount position is for AC and the
'forward' position is for NON-AC.  Also, a rover engine and 5-speed
installed on a rubber bumper car ('77 in my case) in the 'rearward'
position would put the gearshift lever 30mm too far back in the hole
from the standard mgb gearshift location - which would necessatate
shortening of the rover's gearshift remote unit.

IS ALL OF THE ABOVE CORRECT ???

It sure is strange to me that one of the MOST critical parts of the V8
swap, i.e. engine position and engine mounts, is hardly covered in the
book !!!  That would have been the FIRST thing I would have covered if
I was writing that book!  And I would have a drawing showing how to
fabricate the mounts !

Cheers