Rear suspension mods

To: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Rear suspension mods
From: "James Jewell" <m1garand@directvinternet.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 07:53:35 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Hi all,
  I just got Roger Williams' book on improving the MGB,
MGC and V8 the other day.  As with his V-8 Power book,
it contains alot of good ideas and inspiration,
however, again like his V-8 book, actual useful
technical data are few and far between.  For example,
there is a schematic for making a square metal plate
(????)  to hold a spare tire on my luggage rack, but no
templates for mounting the types of improved calipers
he suggest.  On one page he'll suggest an improvement,
and then a few pages later, he'll say  that he can't
actually recommend it for one reason or another.  So
alot of good inspirational photos and ideas, but little
in the way of substance.  In other words, I don't think
I'll ever get oil on the pages.  Don't get me wrong,
it's a noble effort on his part worthy of
congratulations, and I wouldn't have tried or thought
about many of these things without seeing them in his
books first.
 Having said that, he talks about trailing arm
suspension kits and indepedant double-wishbone
suspensions in his book and says that  they will be on
the market soon (book published in 1998?).  Has anyone
tried any of these kits with success? or constructed
one out of parts from the Summit catalog?  Just curious
to see if it is a worthy improvement over composite
leaf-springs and a panhard rod?

James J.

p.s.  Has anyone on the group actualy twisted their B
out of alignment because of the forces the V-8
transmits to the body???