RE: Intermittent Coil Problem ?

To: <CraigFaubel@aol.com>, <rickhuber1@home.com>, <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Intermittent Coil Problem ?
From: "Jim Stuart" <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 23:15:11 -0400
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
I have a Mallory Magnetic distributor & Promaster coil with a HyFire
electronic ignition that I ran on a Rover 4.2. This is probably a good setup
for a race engine or high performance semi- street automobile, but is not,
in my opinion, a good setup for a daily commuter vehicle, which is the way
my car is used.

For daily usage, back & forth to work, heavy traffic, some stop & go mixed
with beltway driving, I find that vacuum advance makes my car more drivable,
& than engine temp in traffic is lower, especially with the air on. For this
reason, I went back to a points distributor. One car has been converted to a
Pertronix electronic ignition, the other will be when I get around to it.

I don't think any ignition system is ideal for everyone. The best for you
depends on how you use your car.

Jim