302 conversion issues (WAS:Re: Thread: Help with Rack moving and car low

To: <clarkew@NiagaraMohawk.com>, <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: 302 conversion issues (WAS:Re: Thread: Help with Rack moving and car lowering)
From: "Larry" <larry@larryembrey.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 08:49:04 -0700
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Wayne thanks for the reply.  I thought I would split this off, so as not to
muddle the 1st thread with non steering discussion...

Well, yes the 302 is not easy like the 215.  That is because not many have
done it, so the info is not widely available.  I am having some hood
clearance issues, but they can be solved and I am trying to tackle them so
that 99% of the car modifications are on the crossmember so that the main
chassis can be left alone, thus people can buy conversion parts down the
road to make the swap somewhat bolt in like the 215.  At this point the only
main chassis modifications are very minor dressing of the tunnel (which may
prove unwarranted now that I am lowering the engine further), removal of the
stock MG motor mounts, and a 1/8-1/4" deep x2-3" long notch in the driver
side of the frame rail at it's narrowest point.  The notch I have not yet
done and due to my change in mount set-up may prove unneeded.  The headers
are an issue right now, but any competent header guy can fab them up without
any problems.  Here in the US it is just a matter of calling a few hot-rod
shops and you will usually hear them all refer you to one or two people for
it.  I have a shop local that can "bend up anything I want", but they are
expensive, though you have exactly what you want when it is done.  I plan to
have a neighbor help me build up a set to get the car on the road and get
the bugs out, then maybe next winter I will take the seasoned headers off
and have that shop duplicate them by bending up a set which will have a much
better appearance.  I am trying to make mine very much like the RV8's which
collect just below the wheel well entrance.  Once they are complete it
should be possible to have them more "mass produced" much like the RV8's, it
is just a matter of getting the prototype built to be copied.  Not that I
have anywere the skill or knowledge, but I am being much like Ken Costello
in that I am doign the dirty work to get the swap figured out.  Others have
done it previous, but I am trying to document everything and make the
conversion easier using all off the slef parts, were other I have seen have
done huge amounts of fabrication of small parts to get around each issue, I
am trying to have 99% of fabrication on the crossemember so that one part
can be bought and bolted in rather than each person trying to find a shop to
make a custom crank spacer or header kit.

Larry