Re: paint primer

To: "Joseph_Pitassi@brown.edu" <Joseph_Pitassi@brown.edu>
Subject: Re: paint primer
From: Bill Elliott <wcelliot@concentric.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2001 10:33:10 -0500
Cc: CraigFaubel@aol.com, MGB-V8 <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Just about anything you can spray out of an aerosol will not be compatible with
"real" paint.

I have used a urethane primer sealer (excellent building primer completely
water-resistant) loaded by me into reusable CO2-charged cans... horrible
results.
I got he best results with a cheap airbrush... but to cover a large area this
would not be practical.  As with any urethane, this requires extreme personal
protection measures (this stuff doesn't make you high like lacquer, it kills
you)

POR is great, but is UV sensitive. Need to topcoat it with paint if exposed to
sunlight.

You might do best to get a cheap lacquer and spray it. It will all have to be
removed before painting, but a think coat of hard lacquer is VERY easy to
remove.
In fact, when painting a red or black car, we would often lightly coat it with
black lacquer and block sand it to find low spots not otherwise visible... but
which would be very visible in the finished product.

HTH!

Bill Elliott
Lake Barrington, IL