Speedo Gearing

To: "MGB Newsgroup" <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Speedo Gearing
From: "Bruce" <brucemills@dccnet.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 16:22:32 -0800
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
I need some help figuring this out. I contacted
http://www.charliesmustangs.com/streets7.htm with regards to the T5 tranny.
I am trying to figure out which speedo drive gears are available from GM so
I can set my speedometer up. My local GM dealer can only access makes and
models.

>From Charlie:
"Determine your tire size and circumference
Calculate the driveshaft rpm for your rear axle gears
And determine the reduction needed to produce the 1000 rpm at 60 mph.
For the Mustang, 7 and 21= 3.73, 7 and 20=3.55 and 7 and 19=3.27."

The tire size is easy it is 185/75/14, one revolution of the tire
(circumference) is 74 1/2". I assume 185 is metric?

The rear end is 3.9:1.
But what I don't understand is how to calculate the drive shaft rpm for the
rear axel gears.

Bruce