Mallory Dual Point

To: <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Mallory Dual Point
From: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@apphosting.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 00:28:26 -0000
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Hi all,

I have just had a few things done to the Factory V8, Weber 500, Offy,
Mallory, new cam & tappets etc. I've run into problems with the Mallory
setup. I don't know how to set the points gap and what the dwell should be.
Also any recommendations of what the advance curve should be? and max
advance setting? I hear the max advance can be adjusted on this
distributor - ? This is a stock 3.5 8.3:1 Rover.

Right now, I have severe misfiring under load vacumn connected, and
slugglish performance and some misfire when disconnected. Massive advance
vacumn connected is apparent. The dyn. timing is set at 7deg vac. disc. at
800rpm. The dwell is showing 43deg. I am guessing that is far to small a gap
but have no idea how to adjust the dizzy as I don't have any booklet to work
with. The car was running fine, for about 12hrs, first thing the next
morning this popped up. I think the points gap has slipped but only know
Lucas stuff so can't say for sure. There is also something weird, well looks
weird to me <G>, two felt pieces between the points and the cam lobes..?!
Should that be there on a Mallory?

Can anyone help, or point me to a Website? :) I'm sure this has come up
before?

Cheers,
Neil