RE: Heater control valve and fans and....

To: "Larry Hoy" <larryhoy@prodigy.net>
Subject: RE: Heater control valve and fans and....
From: Jack Emery <jemery@mint.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 20:25:02 -0500
Cc: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
I have not had the time to comment on many recent posts, but will cover a few.

Jim Stuart is on the money on fans.  Sell that pair of yellow bladed wimp
fans and buy a good 2100-2700 cfm 16 inch or so electric.  The yellow fans
will work, but only with a 13 inch flex fan on the engine to help them.  I
got real tired of explaining to the gathering crowds why my car needed 3
fans.  If you have a rubber bumper car the air will not feed the radiator
adequately at speed.  Then you really need the big puller fan because at
speed the flex fan flattens out.  Then you have 3 useless fans instead of 2.

A heater core should be supplied from the lower fitting to allow air
pockets to be bled through....and MG's suffer from this.  When I initially
fill V-8s, the upper heater hose is loosened at the heater core and a LONG
plastic funnel is screwed into the bung on the top tank of the V-8
radiator.  Just pour until you get coolant at the heater hose then tighten.
 If you add your antifreeze to the system first and then top with water you
do not get such a mess when you pull the funnel and rapidly cram the bung
home.  The system is purged of air and after one heat cycle the surge tank
finds its own level and you are finished.

This method also works very well on 77-80 4 cyl MGB's.

I have used the OEM heater valves for years and the newer replacements are
the pits.  The quality from all sources is poor.  They bind and no amount
of tinkering seems to help.

So go get an inline valve and be happy.  A good one from Carquest fits the
rear heater in a Dodge van.  Costs about $25.  This also is the way to go
on an MGC.

And the snow keeps coming........
Jack Emery
Glenburn Maine