RE: Tach conversion

To: "'Larry Hoy'" <larryhoy@prodigy.net>, "'MG V8 List'" <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Tach conversion
From: Paul.Kile@Aerojet.com (KILE, PAUL D)
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 06:26:45 -0700
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Larry,
The earlier tach's round connectors (male and female) connect to an internal
loop - the white wires are connected internally via this loop (in fact, the
wires have male and female connectors to allow them to be plugged together
outside the tach if the instrument is removed - otherwise the car won't
run).  The paired green wires are 12V switched power.

The later tach does not use a loop, the single round female Lucas connector
is connected to the points (negative) side of the coil, and the square 1/4"
male connector is for 12V switched power (your green wires).  The case must
be grounded, either through the male connector or from a pigtail connected
under one of the instrument mounting nuts.

To hook up the white wires to your tach, first connect them together, then
splice off those wires with a single wire to the round female connector on
the tach.

Hope this helps,
Paul Kile