RE: Torque settings for Rover exhaust manifolds

To: "'Jim Stuart'" <jimbb88@erols.com>
Subject: RE: Torque settings for Rover exhaust manifolds
From: Paul.Kile@Aerojet.com (KILE, PAUL D)
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 07:14:09 -0700
Cc: buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net, "'MG V8 List'" <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Jim,
I was amazed too when I found that the factory GT V-8 used no exhaust
manifold gaskets as stock.  When I visited Beer of Houghton (one of the
foremost MG V-8 shops in the UK) Syd and Malcolm confirmed the lack of
gaskets, and they always retrofit the later gaskets, part number GEG 692.
These were used on the SD1s, but not the earlier cars.

It is my feeling that the very low torque (13 ft-lb.) that was specified for
the GT V-8 manifolds was to allow a bit of "wiggle room" because of the
expected differential expansion of the parts as they heat up.  Most early
Rover installations also used lock tabs on the manifold bolts, but although
these were shown in some of the MG factory manual photos, they were not used
on the GT V-8 (probably due to the tight quarters and the need to install
the manifolds with the engine suspended and part-way installed in the car).
Instead of lock tabs, the GT V-8 manual specifies the use of one drop of
"Locktite 40" on each bolt prior to installation. I believe the photos
showing the lock tabs in the GT V-8 manual supplement were cadged from other
Rover workshop manuals.

The other caveat that the Beers mentioned is that when installing the A-pipe
on the factory GT V-8 manifolds, you must be careful that the ends of the
A-pipe slip into the manifold flanges with no side loads.  You have to
adjust the distance between the two A-pipe ends using jacks, clamps or
hammers, so that the A-pipe slips easily into both manifolds.  Otherwise,
you run the risk of cracking the manifolds, and at $800/pair for the factory
manifolds you need to protect them!

I will use the gaskets and torque the bolts to 16 ft/lb as specified for the
later cars.  I am using 3/8-UNC Allen head cap screws with nice thick
washers (the washers are the same as used on early Chevy smallblocks).  I
plan also to use Fel-Pro grey bolt prep (a combination anti seize and
threadlocker) on the bolts, but am open to suggestions.

Thanks for everyone's input
Paul Kile